Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Tonight with No Moon Yet

I am sitting here tonight because it's dark outside.
I am sitting here cleaning out the desk and throwing away unworthy items with abandon.
I am sitting here looking at a photo taken near Hans Gulch on the west side of Arches in Utah.
We were way way in to the limit of no water left unless we dug deep and added iodine, a flavor I've gotten most used to and actually enjoy, associating it with feeling well on the trail.
There was the petroglyph 30 feet high up on the towering cliff hidden by a mature cottonwood in an obscure dead end canyon. I wondered how bad the blisters were getting when I saw it. There were fresh cougar prints so I had lunch next to them. In time I might even post the image here for you to see. It's a spaceship with 5 little oval windows and a tractor beam with a horned figure appearing beneath the ship. The ranger said it was carbon dated when I showed it to him. It's my one and only Class IV Glyph. It's almost time to share it. Maybe that's on the equinox if I'm so inclined although spring skiing might seduce me again. Just thinking about it I have to go out to the deck on the moonless night to admire Sirius above the snowy peaks. Bet it looks just as fine in that remote Moab canyon. I have spring fever in January.

I did save the bronze wind resistant lighter, the triband radio and Bhutanese coin collection.
I didn't save the scorpion remains nor the mouse nest made of green and red raffia and remnants of a sheepskin rug.

No comments:

Post a Comment