Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Boosh De Gool

Om tare tuttare ture soha.
Removes all obstacles.
Repeat 108 times.
One of the first times I did this was when driving on fumes in the mountains. After several days of hiking in the Collegiate Peaks I was hurrying back to teach a meditation class on time. I coasted into a gas station at Copper Mtn, not so surprisingly named. By digging for nickels and dimes under the floor mats and in the black hole recesses of the truck to refuel, I chanted the mantra. When I finished refueling I turned on the radio to hear Steely Dan singing "Bodhisattva wont' you take me by the hand". I became Tara on a mission to meditate. Presto chango.
The Boosh De Gool is a Sufi tradition. On evening get togethers, one person is selected by drawing a straw to determine who is the Boosh De Gool. The honor allows a person to remove all obstacles in his friends' lives. Are you the Boosh De Gool today? It IS an honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment